I1: Drug discovery and development
The module introduces the different steps along the drug discovery and development process, including its typical implementation in different pharmaceutical companies. It provides insights into the mission and tasks of pharmaceutical companies and the value chain of drug discovery and development.
Frequency: Every other year, typically in October/November.
Module in 2021: 08-12 November by AstraZenca, online. The schedule below is generic. For each I1 module, the specific schedule will be sent via email to the participants.
|Morning Part I||Welcome and introduction to the program and goals; Overview of the company I; Introduction to the R&D value chain with focus on drug discovery||Computational chemistry||Modeling & Simulation (M&S) in preclinical and clinical development; Final discussion - Q&A||Introduction to drug development; Preclinical development||Phase III – Efficacy and safety|
|Morning Part II||Target discovery and validation; High-throughput screening||Presentation of a selected therapeutic area||HR presentation on job opportunities, skill-set requirements and recruiting||Formulation and implications; Analytics and quality||Regulatory affairs|
|Afternoon Part I||Structure and organization of project teams, and how they contribute to decision making processes; To visit a facility or department||To visit a facility or department||Departure from company I and arrival at company II||To visit of a facility or department; Working in a project team||To visit a facility or department; Modeling & Simulation (M&S) in preclinical and clinical development|
|Afternoon Part II||Lead discovery and optimization; Substance repository; Presentation of a selected therapeutic area||Predictive toxicology and early ADME (absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion); Clinical Pharmacology – Bridging R&D||Welcome and introduction to the program; Overview of the company II||Phase I – Tolerance testing in volunteers; Phase II – “Proof-of-Concept” and “Dose Finding”||Final discussion – Q&A; HR presentation on job opportunities, skill-set requirements and recruiting|
|Evening||Dinner (incl. company I representatives)||Dinner (incl. company II representatives)|
- Industry representatives and various employees of two of PharMetrX's Industry partners.
- Production: Chemical and process development
- Phase IV – Interface clinical development and subsidiaries
- Data management and clinical statistics
- Pharmacovigilance and epidemiology
- GLP – GMP – GCP (Good laboratory/medical/clinical practices)
- Health economics
List of past I1 modules
- Boehringer Ingelheim (Biberach a.d.Riss) & AbbVie (Ludwigshafen), 4-8 Nov 2019
- SANOFI (Frankfurt a.M.) & Merck (Darmstadt), 06-10 Nov 2017
- Roche (Basel) & AbbVie (Ludwigshafen), 26-30 Oct 2015
- Merck (Darmstadt) & Boehringer Ingelheim (Biberach a.d.Riss), 21-25 Oct 2013
- SANOFI (Frankfurt a.M.) & Abbot (Ludwigshafen), 31 Oct-04 Nov 2011
- Bayer Schering Pharma (Wuppertal) & Boehringer Ingelheim (Biberach a.d.Riss), 19-23 Oct 2009